Andina

Peru's President: Gov't grant for households will partially offset impact of lockdown

Photo:ANDINA/Midis

Photo:ANDINA/Midis

17:59 | Lima, Jan. 31.

Peruvian President Francisco Sagasti on Sunday affirmed that the Government will provide a cash subsidy of S/600 (around US$164) to 4.2 million vulnerable households to partially offset the impact of the lockdown decreed to stem the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"In order to offset —at least partially— those who will be worst affected by the lockdown, the Government will give a grant of S/600 (about US$164) to 4.2 million households," he said.

Additionally, food support will be provided to soup kitchens and community-led food-relief efforts.

On the other hand, he said the Tayta Program will continue to support the most vulnerable families.

Moreover, tax support measures have been adopted for individuals as well as micro and small-sized enterprises (MSEs).

According to the Head of State, this lockdown is different to the one implemented last year because, among other things, it allows essential activities, which must follow the health protocols contained in a supreme decree issued on Saturday.

Even so, he believes the reduction in the economic activity during this lockdown will indeed lead to a decrease in the (economic) growth. 

So, the Government will give a grant of S/600 (about US$164) to 4.2 million households and the above-mentioned measures will be adopted to partially offset those who will be worst affected by the lockdown.

Remarks were made in a televised Address to the Nation on Sunday morning.


(END) MMG/RMB

Published: 1/31/2021
Most read