Peru: Urgency decree ensures continuity of projects halted by budget shortfalls

Photo: ANDINA/Hector Vinces

Photo: ANDINA/Hector Vinces

10:55 | Lima, Feb. 16.

Economy and Finance Minister Denisse Miralles said the Executive Branch has put in place measures to guarantee the continuity of more than 12,000 projects nationwide that were halted due to lack of budget, representing a combined investment of S/21 billion (US$6.254 billion).

In an interview with Panorama, the Ministry of Economy and Finance's (MEF) head said Urgency Decree No. 001-2026, enacted last Friday, serves that purpose.

The government official added a supplementary credit will follow, based on projections for higher tax revenue during the first quarter of 2026.

"We have issued an urgency decree that will allow us to reprioritize spending and redirect it toward projects with signed contracts facing payment delays. We have mainly identified more than 12,000 such projects, worth over S/21 billion," she indicated.

Regarding the supplementary credit, which must be requested from Congress, she explained that, according to MEF's projections, tax revenue will increase in the first quarter compared with the same period last year.

This additional income is expected to finance the increase, specifically to prioritize the continuation of these projects.

Minister Miralles denied that the urgency decree was a government move to prevent the possible censure of President Jose Jeri, which is set to be debated at Congress on Tuesday.

The Cabinet member said the measure had already been announced by her several weeks ago, though not in the form of an urgency decree.

She added that it essentially aims to allow mayors and regional governors, in the final year of their terms, to complete their infrastructure plans and avoid leaving stalled projects to future authorities.

Central Highway

On another front, the Economy minister reaffirmed the government's commitment to moving forward with construction of the new Central Highway, under a government-to-government modality, but on terms that are as efficient and transparent as possible for the country.

In that regard, the Cabinet member said talks are underway with all relevant stakeholders.

Likewise, she confirmed the government has already committed to launching the execution of the Pariachi Tunnel this year, before July, as the first component of the megaproject.

(END) DOP/JCR/MVB

Publicado: 16/2/2026