Andina

Peru Prosecutor carries out inquiry at Telefonica facilities

13:21 | Lima, Jan. 21.

Lava Jato Case Prosecutor Jose Domingo Perez on Monday carried out an investigation at a Telefonica company building in Lima, after a journalistic report revealed the telecommunications corporation had refused to provide information on Fuerza Popular party leader Keiko Fujimori's phone records.


A TV report —aired last Sunday— showed Telefonica's Analyst of the Government Response Department Silvana Castagnola affirming the company had declined to deliver the information, claiming it did not have data older than three years, but without having —previously— searched for it. 

According to the source, the prosecutor had sent the request in April 2018. It was denied, but he insisted. However, he was informed —once again— that the company did not have the requested data.

"I answer the letter myself, in which I say we have carried out a special search since it was a sensitive case, but in reality, we did not look for the information," she told Latina TV channel. 

Castagnola also affirmed she had denounced her superiors at a police station. Days later, her cellphone was stolen, and she was even run over while riding a bike. 

For its part, Telefonica informed —via a statement— that they have always complied with delivering the data required by Peruvian Justice, in accordance with the current legal framework. 

Furthermore, the company denied the accusations adding that not obeying these requests would have affected the development of the probe in the Inca country. 

Moreover, Telefonica pointed out it addressed around 13,000 requests of call records of competent bodies on a national level in 2018.

Preventive detention

In October 2018, Judge Richard Concepcion Carhuancho ordered the preventive detention of Fujimori over alleged money laundering charges.

The judge considered the daughter of former President Alberto Fujimori posed a high risk of flight, plus this measure would prevent disruptions to the probe.

The magistrate said there is serious suspicion that Fuerza Popular leader Fujimori had allegedly participated in money laundering offenses, as head of a criminal organization within the party.

Additionally, Concepcion Carhuancho confirmed there is a high degree of probability that corruption-tainted Odebrecht had paid US$1 million to Keiko Fujimori's 2011 campaign through fake donors and unjustified activities

The magistrate pointed out the money came from the Division of Structured Operations —the Brazilian company's bribery department. Thus, the assets —intended for the campaign— were illegal and derived from unaccounted payments.

Likewise, this affirmation was supported by former Odebrecht executives' statements given to the authorities through plea bargain deals.


(END) VVS/CVC/DTK/MVB

Published: 1/21/2019
Most read