The Energy and Mines Ministry (MEM) informed 12 Peru-based mining projects are expected to reach construction stage this year. Their joint investment amounts to US$14.746 billion.
The projects —contained in the portfolio that will start or have already started the construction stage— this year are:
- Quellaveco Project, Moquegua region (US$5.300 billion).
- Pampa de Pongo Project, Arequipa region (US$2.500 billion).
- Mina Justa Project, Ica region (US$1.600 billion).
- Toromocho Expansion Project, Junin region (US$1.355 billion).
- Marcona Expansion Project, Ica region (US$1.300 billion).
- Toquepala Expansion Project, Tacna region (US$1.255 billion).
- Corani Project, Puno region (US$585 million).
- Quecher Main Project, Cajamarca region (US$300 million).
- B2 tailings in San Rafael Project, Puno region (US$200 million).
- Ariana Project, Junin region (US$125 million).
- Pachapaqui Expansion Project, Ancash region (US$117 million).
- Shahuindo Expansion Project – Stage 2, Cajamarca region (US$109 million).
Operated by Anglo American-Mitsubishi consortium, this project —whose investment reaches US$5.3 billion— will produce about 300,000 tons of copper per year and create nearly 10,000 direct jobs.