Andina

Peru: Mining investment up 31.4% in 1H 2018

10:21 | Lima, Aug. 4.

Peru's mining investment reached US$1.955 billion between January and June 2018, a 31.4% rise from the same period last year, Energy and Mines Ministry's (MEM) General Mining Bureau (DGM) reported.

According to DGM, mining investment totaled US$385 million last June, up by 20.6% over the similar month in 2017 (US$319 million).

In this sense, the most outstanding segments were smelting plants (US$552 million) and infrastructures (US$495 million).

Together, these two resources accounted for over 50% of mining investments implemented in the first half of 2018.

Jobs

Mining investment in the Inca country generated a total of 198,196 jobs in June 2018, a 6.4% increase compared to the same month the previous year. 

Likewise, the number of people employed in the mining sector was higher than the annual average in 2017 (189,962 workers).

Depending on the type of employer, 32.6% of jobs were created by companies (mining firms), while the remaining 67.4% were generated by contractors (mining contracting companies and related enterprises).

(END) CNA/JAA/MVB


Published: 8/4/2018
Most read