has gone into remission, said on Wednesday Health Minister Zulema Tomas, adding this does not mean the alert level has been lifted or that preventive measures are no longer required.
"Three weeks ago, the number of new cases
was more than 320. Last week, 134 cases were reported, while the number of cases so far this week is three," the minister explained.
"Therefore, we can say the Guillain-Barre syndrome is in remission," she added.
Tomas stressed the importance of handwashing and reminded people to cover their mouth with their arm when sneezing or coughing.
The treatment in Peru is completely free of charge, she said, despite the high cost per patient (S/60,000 or about US$18,000), as it is entirely covered by the State through the Comprehensive Health Insurance system (SIS).
Her remarks were made during a press conference held following a Council of Ministers' session.