12:05 | Cusco (Cusco region), Feb. 18.
The imposing Inti Raymi, or Festival of the Sun—the most eagerly anticipated Inca ceremony held during celebrations honoring the Imperial City of Cusco, capital of Tahuantinsuyo—will be announced to the world from distant China and from Lima's Main Square.
Cusco Mayor Luis Pantoja confirmed to Andina News Agency that by March one of the cities in the Asian giant should already be defined, along with the date, as top-level coordination efforts enter their final stage.
The official acknowledged that February 16 had been set as the date to learn which venue would host the Inti Raymi announcement. However, for reasons not disclosed, the plan was postponed. Authorities are now expected to travel to China next month.

From this city, coordination is being handled by officials from the Municipal Company for Celebrations and Tourism Promotion of Cusco (Emufec). Meanwhile, at the national level, responsibility lies with the Ministries of Foreign Affairs, Culture, and Foreign Trade-Tourism.
"The date is yet to be confirmed. The international launch will take place from China, the national launch from Lima's Main Square, and the regional (launch) from the Qoricancha (in Cusco). Everything must be completed in March," Pantoja underlined.
"The Cusco mayor will attend as an ambassador, accompanied by the Royal Court, the Inca and the Coya; the ministries and TV Peru will take part," he said.
"There are as many as two or three major cities under consideration, and officials are assessing which one will be chosen. That is a task that Emufec still has to materialize."

The Cusco mayor acknowledged the importance of previous announcements made in the United States, Spain, and Europe. He also said authorities are now seeking to enter China.
Pantoja noted that tourist arrivals from the other side of the world are steadily increasing.
"What is happening is that we want that large market to come to our city," he indicated.

The Inti Raymi reenactment is held every June 24 on the esplanade of the Sacsayhuaman Archaeological Park, drawing more than 3,700 tourists and some 50,000 Cusco residents, including domestic visitors.
After the COVID-19 pandemic, the festival has been reawakening and is expected to surpass tourist reception levels this year, and in the years ahead, as projections indicate that growing numbers of visitors are increasingly drawn to living cultural expressions—particularly the Inca ritual.
In 2025, it was announced that around 1,000 seats would be added, with a significant percentage allocated to Cusco residents.
It is worth noting that 30% of visitors arriving in Cusco during this period are domestic tourists, while the remainder are foreign travelers from North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia.

(END) PHS/MAO/MVB
Published: 2/18/2026