reported on Friday that 29 air-bridge flights were operated to transport a total of 650 people who had been stranded in Ocoña district, Arequipa region, due to landslides that disrupted traffic along this section of the Southern Pan-American Highway.
The Head of State announced that, according to information provided by Provias, at least one section of the Southern Pan-American Highway, which remains blocked, will be reopened in the coming hours.
Afterward, priority will be given to passenger transport vehicles.
The top official said the air bridge established by the Air Force and Army Aviation has made it possible to operate 14 flights from Atico and 15 helicopter flights from Ocoña.
A total of 29 flights transported approximately 650 people on Friday.
"While traveling to the critical area, I was also able to speak with the mayors of Atico and Caraveli. We were in Ocoña and then headed to the critical area," Fujimori told TV Peru at the Arequipa airport terminal, where she returned after visiting the emergency zone.
At the same time, the President thanked the more than 150 Army personnel who have been taking part in road cleanup efforts and assisting stranded vehicles.
Similarly, she thanked residents of the affected districts for voluntarily helping all those stranded.
Prioritizing passenger transport
"I was informed that, in the coming hours, at least part of the highway will be reopened," Fujimori announced.
In this regard, the President specified that once the Southern Pan-American Highway is reopened, priority will be given to passenger buses, followed by cargo trucks.
The Head of State explained that cleanup work on the blocked highway was delayed by rainfall in the area last Tuesday, as well as by the recent earthquake in Ayacucho, which triggered additional landslides.
Later, the top official highlighted the participation of various ministers in responding to emergencies occurring in different parts of Peru.
The President said Minister Mauricio Arnillas (Housing) is in Ayacucho region's Coracora, a district affected by Thursday's earthquake.
Meanwhile, Marco Vinelli (Agrarian Development-Irrigation) and Luis Dyer (Health) remain in Piura, where they are verifying that river desilting work continues.
She added that both ministers have received a significant donation from the private sector, which is also joining these efforts to respond to the effects of El Niño phenomenon.
(END) HTC/CVC/MVB