The 2023 complementary municipal elections will be held on Sunday, July 2 in 12 districts across the country. This story explores what they consist of and where they will take place.
What are the 2023 complementary municipal elections?
Why were the municipal elections annulled in those 12 districts?
According to Article 36 of Municipal Election Law, three causes were identified:
- Null or blank votes, counted together or separately, exceeded two-thirds of the number of votes cast.
- More than a half of voters were absent from the polling stations.
- The existence of serious irregularities —due to infringement of the law— was confirmed, which modified the results of the voting.
When will complementary municipal elections take place?
The 2023 complementary municipal elections will be held on Sunday, July 2.
In which districts will this complementary process take place?
The complementary municipal elections will be held in the following districts:
1. Canis (Ancash)
2. Recta (Amazonas)
3. Lari (Arequipa)
4. Chimban (Cajamarca)
5. Pion (Cajamarca)
6. Ninabamba (Cajamarca)
7. Huamantanga (Lima)
8. Aco (Ancash)
9. Chinchihuasi (Huancavelica)
10. Manitea (Cusco)
11. Salcabamba (Huancavelica)
12. Aparicio Pomares (Huanuco)