Andina

Peru: Lima, Cusco, and Ica attract the most tourists in 1Q 2021

19:31 | Lima, Jul. 18.

Peruvian regions of Lima, Cusco, and Ica attracted the most visitors during the first quarter of 2021, with more than 400,000, the Peruvian Foreign Trade Society (ComexPeru) reported on Sunday.

Between January and March this year, tourist sites throughout the country received 448,675 visitors, down 82% compared to the similar period in 2020.

Of this total, 95.5% were Peruvians and the remaining 4.5% were foreign tourists, according to the Quarterly Tourism Performance Report prepared by ComexPeru.

Additionally, the report indicates that the regions with the most visitors were Lima (223,159, down 79.2% from the same period in 2020), followed by Cusco (112,621, -85.8%), Ica (65,366, -84.2%), San Martin (41,880, -46.6%), and Arequipa (22,193, -64.9%).

The most visited tourist sites in these regions were the Magic Water Circuit, Machu Picchu, the Ballestas Islands National Reserve, the Naciente de Tioyacu tourist recreation center and Colca valley, in said order.

According to ComexPeru's statistics, Lima, Cusco, and Ica accounted for 89.4% of visits to tourist attractions in the country in the period of analysis. 

Gradual recovery

The ComexPeru report highlights the gradual recovery of the country's tourist activity, noting that the number of visitors to tourist attractions in the first quarter of the year increased 9.7% compared to the last quarter of 2020.

"This occurred even though social distancing measures were resumed in the first months of 2021," the exporting guild pointed out.

(END) MDV/MDV/RMB

Published: 7/18/2021
Most read