18:00 | Cusco (Cusco region), Jan. 21.
The National Civil Defense Institute (Indeci)
on Friday reported that, following the heavy rains which prompted various emergencies in Machu Picchu town, the competent authorities assess the safety of non-collapsed bridges so as to facilitate the transfer of tourists and locals via railway to Ollantaytambo.
In this regard, the Regional Emergency Operations Center (COER) reported that there is so far 1 person injured and another missing, 1 house destroyed and 4 affected, in addition to damage of various types at 3 commercial premises, 4 bridges, and the railroad.
Personnel from the Disaster Risk Management Office belonging to the district municipality continue to carry out Damage Assessment and Needs Analysis.
Given this situation, railway operations to and from Machu Picchu were temporarily suspended.
For its part, the Sectoral Emergency Operations Center (COES) of the Energy-Mines Ministry reported that Electro Sur Este activated its contingency plan. Likewise, a technical team from said company is in the area to restore the electric power service.
Meanwhile, workers from said commune carry out cleanup and removal of debris, joined by members of the National Police of Peru, who also carry out search and rescue works.
Indeci indicated that, through the National Emergency Operations Center (COEN)
, it monitors the evolution of this emergency 24 hours a day and urges authorities to keep their regional and local emergency operations centers on permanent alert.
A large-scale landslide was registered on Friday morning in Machu Picchu Town district, leaving several homes affected, 2 pedestrian bridges collapsed, as well as the interruption of Ollantaytambo-Machu Picchu railway services.
In remarks to Andina news agency, District Mayor Darwin Baca reported that Alccamayo River overflowed its banks at around 5:45 a.m. (local time), dragging along stones and mud up to Machu Picchu train station platform.