Andina

Peru: Cusco welcomed over 316,000 visitors during jubilee month


14:44 | Cusco (Cusco region), Jul. 10.

Cusco received more than 316,000 domestic and foreign tourists last June —the Imperial City's jubilee month, its Regional Directorate of Foreign Trade and Tourism (Dircetur) informed Tuesday.

According to Dircetur Head Rosendo Baca, more than 252,000 visitors were foreigners, while the rest were Peruvian citizens.

During this month, vacationers gathered at the city's Historical Center to enjoy diverse activities such as performances by musical groups and traditional dancers.


They also visited several archaeological sites, among other attractions.

It must be noted 80% of tourists visited the majestic Inca citadel of Machu Picchu —through different routes— while the remaining 20% arrived at other alternative destinations like the Sacred Valley of the Incas, the South Valley, and the Northern Route.

Furthermore, Baca noted tourist inflow in Cusco may have increased —in a sustainable manner— between 8% and 10% compared to previous years, thanks to the implemented promotion policies and tourism development.


Nevertheless, domestic tourist flows may have declined due to the possible price increase in some services, he told Andina news agency.

In this sense, the official affirmed they will promote initiatives such as discounts in order to make prices more accessible to all Peruvians. 


(END) PHS/MAO/JAA/MVB

Published: 7/10/2018